Why pay at twice the price for booking fees?
The U.S. Virgin Islands is a popular destination for tourists and expatriates. Finding a great vacation rental with a great view and amenities in the USVI territory might involve a combination of online resources and local contacts. Here are some suggestions for finding short-term vacation rentals, including condos and apartments, villas and homes, and cottages and guest suites in America’s little corner of Caribbean paradise!
- Typical Online Rental Platforms. Websites like Airbnb and Vrbo often have many choices of local listings. You can search for properties based on your preferences, budget, and desired amenities. The approximate guest fees those platforms charge range about 14% Airbnb, 11% VRBO, 9% on Hotels’ website.
- A new BOOKING PLATFORM FOR VIRGIN ISLANDS VACATION RENTALS. The Find A Rental Virgin Islands website offers many of the same features of those platforms at a lower price at 5%. And, you can book online or reach out direct to owner or property management before booking. Find A Rental Virgin Islands makes it easy to search by date, or do a search by map location. The website even has a page of special discounted rates offered by specific vacation villas.
- Community Groups and Forums. Seek online forums and social media groups dedicated to locals or visitors as valuable resources to find rental homes in the VI. Check platforms like Facebook for groups where locals or expatriates post rental listings, last minute availability, and share advice.
- Local Real Estate Agencies. These agencies can find both short-term villa rentals and long-term apartments or homes. They may have a nice grasp of the local rental property market and can guide you to properties that match your desired amenities.
- Search Engines. This option is likely to find hotel rentals, vacation resorts (most located on St. Thomas), and the major booking platforms listed first. If you are looking for a more private or intimate vacation experience for a week rental or more to unwind and relax, keep scrolling down for websites that showcase privately owned villa rentals for your special island getaway.
- Local Newspapers and Classifieds. Some villas and homes also rely on traditional print media for rental listings. Look for local newspapers or magazines that may have paid classified ads for rentals in St. John, St. Thomas, Water Island, or St Croix.
- Word of Mouth. Sometimes, the best deals are found through word of mouth. If you have contacts or friends who live or have visit USVI, they might be able to provide recommendations or connect you with property owners.
- Visit in Person. If you’re already on island and planning your next visit, you might find villa signs posted on properties. As you are driving around the islands, keep an eye out for signs posted outside the villa entry or gate. You may find that villas post a small plaque with a villa name that could lead you to villas for rent to find online. Google the villa name + the island name and see what you find! Here’s an example: VistaBahiaStJohn
- Vacation Rental Property Management Companies. Look for property management companies that specialize in vacation rentals. They may have a range of options and vacation rental services to suit your needs. Often, managed properties which fall in the luxury villa rentals category.
- Local Events and Gatherings. Attend local events or even a beach, say Maho Bay St John, to network with locals who might know of available rentals they recommend.
- Travel Agents. These travel professionals have a wide breadth of lists from rentals and exploring attractions in the Virgin Islands area, but likely are not local to the area.
Finding the best vacation rental site doesn’t have to be such a challenge once you know what you’re looking for. Remember that the rental market and available resources can change, so it’s a good idea to combine several methods for the best chance of finding a suitable rental as you plan your Caribbean vacation. Additionally, before a commitment, research and verify the details and stipulations of the property, owner, and/or vacation rentals website for a smooth trip.